Search
  • Deanne Pandey

Forget your resolutions this New Year! Here’s why


Its that time of the year again where all of us make big promises to ourselves, the same old ‘New Year’s Resolutions’. But this year be prepared to say no to these promises. Every year we decide to do or to avoid to do some things and halfway into the year, we fail to live up to these decisions and end up being really demotivated about those decisions. Now, we know that most of our resolutions do not work. But why exactly don’t these resolutions work. That is because the concept of resolutions is a very broad concept, thus making it unrealistic. For example, when we have a goal like “I want to get healthy,” we set ourselves up for failure because we don’t know where to start. The fact is that only about 10% of people who make new year’s resolutions successfully implement lasting change. The other 90% fail. This failure can be very discouraging. The problem is that as soon as you set yourself a goal you’re saying to yourself that you want more in your life than you have right now. The very nature of goals make you look forwards at what’s next, never at what you’ve got right now. This can hurt your will power. Moreover, resolutions are not goals that arise out of what you want but instead they arise out of what you should ideally do. This way, you’re taking something that doesn’t mean anything to you and trying to make it happen. Resolutions lack a foundation of meaning and personal relevance that makes sure they run out of steam. But then this does not mean you lead an aimless year ahead.


Ditch the concept of New Year’s resolution this year and do this instead-


1. No need to wait for a ‘New’ year


Implementing change into our lives is not something we should do once a year. We can and should make changes and improvements throughout our lives and throughout the year. Its true that a new year brings along with it new excitement and encouragement. But why wait for a new year to begin when you can work your way towards building that same energy right from today onwards.


2. Be specific while deciding your goals


Be as specific as you can and include a deadline. Instead of saying you want to lose weight, it is better to lose 1 pound each week for 20 weeks. Your resolution should be clear. Making a concrete is goal is really important rather than just vaguely saying “I want to…”. Take into consideration; every parameter of your goal and be specific in setting these parameters.


3. Don’t set unrealistic goals


Making big, impossible promises to yourselves will only end in failure in keeping them. That is why it is important to make sure your goals are realistic and achievable. If you set resolutions that are unrealistic or too broad, then it causes discouragement and hampers your will to achieve your goal. Instead envision a realistic goal, in a realistic matter and time frame.


4. One step at a time


Break your ultimate goal into various stages and steps. Put in efforts to achieve one stage at a time. And eventually work your way towards your final goal. This will not only make it possible for you to fulfil the promise you made to yourself but also increase your will power and excitement on achieving these mini goals.



So this year, stop believing in the concept of resolutions and think practically to work your way towards a more positive lifestyle. Wish you all a very Happy New Year!

34 views

© 2018 Deanne Panday. All rights reserved.

 Designed and created by Studio Seven