Summer is ending soon and now is the time to make the best of it. To sum it up, summer is all about blue skies, vacations, ice creams and fresh fruits. Basically, all the fun summed up in a season. From running on fresh green grass to having your favourite popsicle, this season has it all. Naturally, given the circumstances, summers have been indoors this year. It is true that we have missed out on most of summer’s favourites. Although, this does not mean we miss out on our favourite summer foods. Summer foods are everyone’s favourites, right from kids to adults. Moreover, they have a refreshing and cooling effect on us. Seasonal eating is a must as it makes you feel more connected to the food you eat and helps you reap all the benefits of seasonal eating. As monsoons are soon gonna knock our doors, we just have 1-2 more weeks of summer. This means 1-2 more weeks of fruit popsicles, Summer coolers, infused waters, fresh salads and homemade ice creams.
Here are some things you can try before summer ends!
Popsicles straight out scream summer. Everyone loves popsicles. Not only are they vibrant and tasty, but also very hydrating and nourishing. The best part is, you can make popsicles with a wide range of ingredients.
16 ounces Vanilla Yogurt, 2 cups Almond milk,4 Clementines,1⁄4 teaspoon orange extract,1⁄4 teaspoon yellow dye,1⁄4 teaspoon pink dye,1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips (for topping).
• In a high speed blender, combine the 2 of the 3 yogurt containers, almond
milk, oranges, orange extract, 1⁄4 tsp yellow dye and 1⁄4 tsp pink dye. Blend
• Pour the orange blender mixture into a popsicle mold about half full. Then,
put the mold into the freezer for about 3 hours
• When ready to serve, remove the popsicles from the popsicle mold and lay them flat on parchment paper or a cookie sheet.
• Melt your white chocolate chips in the microwave, approximately 1 minute, or melt on the stovetop in a small pan. Use a spoon to drizzle it over the popsicles!
12 Oz. Fresh Ripe Strawberries, 2 Cups Full-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt, 1/4 Cup Honey
• Blend strawberries on high speed until puree like consistency. Add yogurt
and honey, and continue to blend until incorporated.
• Pour the mixture into popsicle molds, insert the sticks, and freeze for 5 hours or overnight.
• Run popsicle molds under warm water until the pops loosen, and then remove. Makes 10 popsicles.
Just like popsicles, summer coolers are everyone’s favourite. Be it a cucumber cooler or Jal jeera, summer coolers are enjoyed by all.
1 Cucumber, 3 tbsp Sugar, 6-8 Mint Leaves, 3 tbsp Lemon Juice, 1 tsp Black Salt, Ice Cubes, 3 cups Water chilled, Lemon rings and mint leaves for garnishing
• Cut 3-4 very thin slices of cucumber for garnishing.
• Peel the remaining cucumber and cut into small pieces.
• Blend the cucumber in a blender with sugar, mint leaves and 1 cup of water.
• Strain using a sieve.
• Discard the pulp.
• Add lemon juice, black salt and remaining water in the cucumber juice.
• Add one thin slice of cucumber in each glass and put some ice cubes.
• Pour the drink in the glass.
• Garnish with lemon ring and mint leaves. Serve fresh!
Mango Lemon Soda-
1/2 cup Mango puree cold, 2 tbsp Sugar, 2 tsp Lemon juice, 1/2 tsp Black salt, 500 ml Soda chilled
• Dissolve sugar in little water and make a syrup
• Add mango puree, sugar syrup, salt and lemon juice in a bowl. • Divide the mixture into two glasses.
• Pour soda on top of the mixture.
• Garnish with mint leaves and lemon rings.
• Serve immediately.
Apart from the health benefits it reaps, infused water is the key to hydration during summers. Not only is it great in flavour but also rich in vitamins and minerals.
Watermelon, Kiwi, and Lime:
• 1 cup watermelon cubes
• 1 kiwi diced or cut into circles
1 lime sliced into circles
Blackberries, Orange, and Ginger
• 1/2 pint blackberries
1 orange thinly sliced
1 piece ginger peeled and thinly sliced
In a large pitcher, place the desired combination of fruit or herbs. Add ice and fill container with water. Add additional fruit or herbs to garnish, if desired.
Try out these summer recipes today! Stay home, Stay safe!