Worried about that noon snooze? Don’t be!
We all know sleep is extremely important for your body to replenish and rewire itself for the next day. But dozing off in the middle of the day for a short duration isn’t exactly everyone’s definition of rest, you’d just end up with an incomplete sleep and a headache. Although, that’s not true. Dividing our days into distinct periods of time between sleeping and wakefulness may not be a natural pattern for us. Naps can actually be great for your physical energy and mental state. It’s advisable that you nap for 20 to 30 minutes, as this will leave you feeling refreshed and more energized, not leave you all groggy. Young children and elderly persons often nap, and napping is a very important aspect of many cultures. This is because napping provides us with a short break to enhance our attention span and makes us get back to our usual day pleasantly.
Mid-day napping can have numerous benefits. Here are some of them-
1. Memory Boost- Napping for 10-20 minutes can give you an instant memory boost and enhance your cognitive functioning. The ability for your brain to go into a calm, relaxed state while you sleep is linked to your ability to remember.
2. Makes you more creative- Yes, that’s right. Mid-day naps can actually enhance your creativity. Napping activates parts of the brain that are responsible for imagination and ingenuity while also helping to “clear out the cobwebs” and fuse new ideas together in ways that your conscious mind may not have thought of.
3. Improves physical health- Lack of sleep may be triggering your brain to send signals to your blood vessels that make them stiff and unresponsive. Napping regularly can help keep your blood vessels as healthy as possible and even lower the risk of heart diseases.
4. Improves your mood- Napping can act as an instant mood fixer. It is excellent for keeping you in high spirits, and it can keep anxiety levels in check. It even refreshes you and gives you a boost to get ahead with your day.
5. Improves Alertness- Though you may wake from your nap in a sleepy haze, you will likely find that when you do fully awaken, you are much more alert than you were before taking a nap.
However, mid-day naps can go wrong in many ways. You may not be able to sleep in the afternoon, or you might just go overboard with this nap. You need not worry. Mid day naps might not come to you easily. But, sleeping in a comfortable environment only for a short period of time can leave you refreshed and much more active!
Try it out today and let us know in the comments. Till then, Stay home and Stay Safe!